Monday, August 19, 2013

Teach a woman to cook...

...and you get some wild experimental dishes, especially when there's stuff in the fridge that needs to be used up.

I had a half dozen Thai eggplants in the fridge that I peeled and chopped into bite size pieces, tossed with kosher salt, and let sit in a colander for an hour or so to get the bitterness out.  I rinsed them and set aside.  I cut up a bell pepper, onion, some canned straw mushrooms (not enoki), pickled lotus rootlets, and minced up some dried shrimp.  Stir fried it all together in coconut oil with some fish sauce, lime juice, Thai basil, and hot sesame oil.  Added some chunks of seitan near the end.  Yielded 4 pint containers.   I threw a cup of black rice into the rice cooker to go along with it, which yielded 4 cup containers of cooked rice.  I also made a quart of cucumber & daikon kim chi pickles, so I packed up a cup of that to go with my lunch today as well.

Tomatillos and some of the peppers ended up in a green chicken chili, and I'll be making chicken paprikasz again soon with the Hungarian peppers I've been growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment